Natural Remedies for Treating Skin Scars
Scars are not just marks that can mar your face but can leave their impact on your overall personality too.
What are scars?
You can get scars for a myriad of reasons – accidents, cuts, burns, skin conditions like acne & pimples, insect bites, infections like chickenpox or minor surgeries too. All of these cause injury that leads to the formation of scar tissues over the wounds in an effort to protect and repair the injured area.
Let us learn of some quick home tips to fix up scars as much as possible.
Home Remedies for Scars
While the market is filled with creams and lotions that purport to deal with scars. However, you may opt for these easy natural home remedies to heal these scars.
Aloe vera has significant anti-inflammatory as well as anti-bacterial qualities that make it a natural scar remover and emollient that not just repairs skin damage but helps promote healthy skin growth too. To treat your scar, try this easy Aloe Vera remedy.
- Squeeze the gel-like substance from an Aloe Vera leaf and massage the gel in circular motions on your scar. Leave it on the scar for about 30-minutes and wash off.
Try this remedy twice daily and see the magic.
Coconut oil is another ingredient that speeds the healing of scars with its unique composition of anti-oxidants, Vitamin E, essential acids like lauric, caprylic and capric acids that stimulate the production of collagen, reversing the skin damage.
- Heat to liquefy some extra-virgin coconut oil. Place the warm oil on the scar and massage the affected area for 5-10 minutes. Let the area absorb the oil for some time.
For best results, repeat this therapy at least 2-3 times daily.
Vitamin E Oil
Try utilizing the excellent anti-oxidant properties of Vitamin E oil to fade scars. To top this, this oil also moisturized the skin, the hydration helping to repair the damaged skin tissue.
- Use Vitamin E capsule to extract some oil and apply to the scar, massaging gently for about 10 minutes. Leave for 15 minutes before washing it off with some warm water.
Open some vitamin E capsules to get the oil.
Repeat as many times as possible in the day. Be cautious and perform an allergy patch test before using this remedy as many people are allergic to Vitamin E oil.
Olive oil, especially extra-virgin olive oil, with its rich Vitamin and essential nutrients, offers another effective natural remedy for scar removal.
- Warm some extra-virgin olive oil and apply to the affected area massaging it using circular movements. Leave it to absorb for about 30-minutes before wiping it off with a soft cloth or rinsing off with lukewarm water.
Repeat the treatment as many times as you can in a day.
Honey, being a natural moisturizer, makes an effective scar remover. It not just hydrates the skin but also prevents the accumulation of dead skin and scar tissues, deterring scar formation.
- Apply pure, organic honey on the scar, cover this with bandage and leave it overnight. Wash off the honey with warm water the next morning.
Repeat daily before retiring to bed for effective results.
Lemon juice contains alpha-hydroxy acids that treat and heal scars by removing dead skin, promoting new skin growth and also improving the skin elasticity. Also, its bleaching action lightens scars making them less visible.
- Apply some lemon juice to the scar either undiluted or mixed with equal amount of rose water/Vitamin Oil for the sensitive skin types. Wait for about 10 minutes, then rinse off with warm water.
Repeat once daily until the scar lightens or fades.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Just like lemon juice, apple cider vinegar too has scar healing properties.
- Dab some cotton withapple cider vinegar and apply on the scars, washing it off after 10 minutes.
Try this remedy daily before going to bed, followed by a moisturizer.
For more remedies to remove tough scars on face and other body parts, click here.