Fight constipation issues with fiber rich Hot Mexican Red Rice
Red rice is known for its nutty flavour and higher nutritional value. It is rich in fibre as it comes unhulled with the red husk on. The germ of the rice is left intact. When red rice is cooked, the natural red colour from the husk seeps out, giving the dish a wonderful red colour. Some grains are short and are very sticky while some of them are long grain rice. Since red rice is rich in fibre, it ensures proper digestion.
It also makes you feel full for long hours. The red bran contains 95% of minerals and dietary fibre. It is also a rich source of iron, potassium, manganese, sodium and zinc. Red rice works with any type of food like risotto and rice based dishes and desserts. This rice dish is a flavour rich Mexican dish, loaded with the goodness of tangy salsa and fresh cilantro.
Serving size: 4 servings
- 1 cup long grain organic red rice.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ cup tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- ¼ tablespoon salt
- ¼ tablespoon sugar
- 1¾ cups chicken stock/vegetable stock
- ¼ cup water
- ½ whole lime juiced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Take a saucepan, add oil and place it on medium heat
- Add onions and garlic, and salt, cook for 2 minutes
- Add tomatoes, chilli powder, and cumin powder and cook for another 2 minutes
- Add the red rice and stir well
- Add the chicken broth, water, lime juice and sugar.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes until the rice is soft
- Remove from heat, and cover the pan with a clean kitchen towel and let it set for 5 minutes
- Remove the towel, stir in the cilantro and fluff the rice with a fork
Serve this spicy hot Mexican rice with fresh tomato salsa or Mexican style beets slaw alongside for a complete lunch or dinner.