Best of the best diabetes diet
Image Source: Diabetesroom
Today, not only old people, but also teenagers can suffer from diabetics. To control blood glucose, cholesterol and blood pressure, you just have to maintain a balanced diet without gaining any extra pound.
Foods to Include:
- Olive Oil: Olive oil has 50% low fat than other oils generally used for cooking. Also it has a lot of anti-oxidants that will repair cell damage and prevent heart ailments.
- Coffee: Coffee plays a huge role in preventing type-2 diabetes. Testosterone and estrogen- two sex hormones play a role in development of type 2 diabetes. Consumption of coffee can increase the plasma level of sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG), which regulates Testosterone and estrogen. But don’t be a heavy drinker! Drink it once or twice daily.
- Cinnamon: Many studies suggested that cinnamoncan control diabetes working as a natural insulin. Cinnamon which is enriched with anti-oxidants and polyphenols that increases glucose metabolism effectively. It can lower the level of blood sugar of type-2 diabetes patients too.
- Fish: Fatty fish has the goodness of protein and omega-3 fatty acids that helps to reduce blood sugar level in patients with type-1and type-2 diabetes. Also docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid in fatty fishes like salmon and sardines can reduce risk of stroke.
- Dark Chocolate: Dark chocolate is made of raw and unprocessed cocoa, without adding any sugar. Flavonoids and antioxidant in dark chocolate lower the level of blood sugar, thus controlling diabetes to a great extent. Flavonoid can also reduce the risk of heart attack. Plus, eating dark chocolate can lower your craving of sweets too.
- Green vegetables: cruciferous vegetables like spinach, kale, broccoli, cabbage etc. can be a great source of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that helps to build a healthy body. Also, it has sulforaphane that helps to reduce blood sugar and heart disease, which is found in most diabetes patients.
- Nuts: eating magnesium rich almonds and walnuts daily can control your blood sugar level, prevent some serious problems resulting from diabetes like kidney failure, blindness and neuropathy, keeping blood sugar level low. Also monounsaturated and Omega-3 fats in nuts can reduce cholesterol level, and thus reducing risk of stroke.
- Fenugreek: Fenugreek is being used in Ayurveda from ages. It has amino acid called 4-hydroxyisoleucine, that controls diabetes by producing more insulin in body. Also it helps to reduce high cholesterol and risk of liver damage.
- Turmeric: Turmeric has anti-inflammatory property which helps to keep a healthy body in many ways. It has curcumin that protects against diabetes, cancer, depression, Alzheimer’s disease, high cholesterol and obesity.
- Quinoa: Quinoa is enriched with protein. It has fiber that controls insulin resistance and increase carbohydrates absorption, preventing sudden fluctuation of blood sugar level.
- Sweet Potatoes: Studies have proven that sweet potato plays important role in controlling diabetes. It reduces blood sugar level and fastens blood glucose level. Other ingredients of sweet potato like anthocyanins and antioxidants prevents heart disease and cancer.
- Green Tea: Since green tea undergoes leads amount of processing, thus it has high amount of antioxidants, that helps to repair damaged cells. Studies have shown that green tea prevents type 1 diabetes and reduces blood sugar level in type 2 diabetes.
- Blueberries: Blueberry is made of soluble and insoluble fibers that reduces extra body fat and controls diabetes. It has anthocyanin that reduces fat cells and triggers the release of hormone adiponectin that increases body glucose level, building insulin resistance in body.
Foods to Avoid:
- Fast foods like French fries ,Chinese foods or pizza
- Foods with high sugar contents like pastries or smoothies
- White rice
- Sweet fruits like banana, melon or peach
- Red meat
Overall, you should have variation in your daily food. But if your blood sugar level is not decreasing, you should stop self-treatment and visit doctor immediately.