Buy the Best Organic Cooking Oils to Suit Your Tastes
Image Source: Shutterstock
Some Cooking Oils for Health Benefits
There are many reasons why one should always buy organic vegetable oils. Organic corn and canola oil guarantees that they are not genetically modified, which otherwise they are. Peanuts are heavily sprayed with pesticides, hence buying organic peanut oil becomes mandatory.
- Coconut Oil
Though coconut oil contains almost 90% saturated fatty acids, it has proven its multitude health benefits like digestion, immunity, weight loss amongst others including skin and hair care. Above all, coconut is the best choice of oil for high heat cooking.
- The presence of lauric acid in coconut oil prevents various heart-related problems like high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels and atherosclerosis. In pre-menopausal women it maintains healthy lipid profiles.
- The short and medium-chain fatty acids present in coconut oil help in losing weight effectively. It is especially useful in reducing abdominal fat in women. Its easy digestion helps the endocrine and thyroid systems to function healthily.
- Coconut oil contains antimicrobial lipids, capric acid, lauric acid and caprylic acid. These acids have antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties and helps our body to deal with viruses and bacteria that cause such diseases such as influenza and herpes.
- It is a very healthy cooking oil as it aids in digestion and helps in the prevention of problems relating to the digestive tract including irritable bowel syndrome. The saturated fats which have antimicrobial properties help to fight microorganisms causing indigestion.
- Coconut oil is extremely helpful in providing relief from inflammation which is caused by candida, a disease caused in the stomach by the uncontrolled growth of a particular yeast.
- Olive Oil
Olive oil is the product of the first pressing of olives and its health benefits are never ending. It’s healthy monounsaturated fatty content is high, it is good for the heart and it has an excellent flavor and taste. But, since the high-quality extra virgin olive oils are unable to handle heat well, olive oils should be made use in cold dishes and dressing salads. Though the lower quality olive oils can withstand high heat, they contain less polyphenols and antioxidants than the healthy extra virgin olive oil.
- Sunflower Oil
- Though we are all familiar with the lovely sunflower, we hardly associate it as being the source of extremely healthy and beneficial cooking oil which has over the years replaced many unhealthy cooking oils that are found in the market.
- Sunflower is rich in fatty acids like stearic acid, linoleic acid, palmitic acid and oleic acid which in balanced amount are good for the health of our hearts.
- The Vitamin E in sunflower oils act as antioxidants and boosts our immune system. This means that sunflower oil protects our skin from damage in the sun and from degradation due to age. It helps in the quick healing of scars and adds glow to the skin and hence finds use in the cosmetic industry.
- The antioxidants also help to build up our immune system and prevent infections from invading our bodies.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties and has been co-related to lower attacks of the respiratory condition asthma. Sunflower oil also has positive benefits for those suffering from arthritis.
Word of Caution: People facing problems with obesity and high cholesterol level have to monitor their body’s reaction to this oil due to its high omega-6 content.
- Peanut Oil
Peanut oil is obtained by pressing the kernels of peanut.This oil has a wonderful sweet flavor and is low in saturated fats. It contains the essential fatty acid linoleic acid and is free from cholesterol.
- As it is a vegetable oil, it is a rich source of beta-sitosterol, which reduces the risk of heart disease.
- It is a high calorie oil because of its fatty acids. But, it is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids and hence, helps to lower LDL and at the same time helps to increase HDL which are the bad cholesterol and the good cholesterol respectively.
- It contains the antioxidant resveratrol which protects the body from a host of diseases like heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, infections and degenerative nerve disease.
- It also contains vitamin E which is another antioxidant that protects our body from harmful oxygen-free radicals.
Word of Caution: Those suffering from peanut oil allergy should refrain from any food preparations done in peanut oil.There are many options available for choosing a healthy cooking oil. Click here for more options for organic cooking oils to suit your tastes.