Difference between sugar and artificial sweeteners
Image Source: Raw Story
Sugar present in our body in the form of glucose plays a vital role in the metabolism of our body. Excess of sugar consumption is unhealthy for us. Therefore, a wise choice is to be made while its consumption. Sugar alcohols are carbohydrates which are naturally present in fruits and vegetables.
Artificial sweeteners also known as “intense sweeteners” are synthetic sugar alternatives which may or may not be derived from natural sources. Switching from natural sugar to artificial sweeteners is a worse option.
Breakdown of artificial sweeteners:
- Acesulfame potassium
Breakdown of sugar alcohols:
- Hydrogenated starch hydrolysate
Uses of artificial sweeteners:
Artificial sweeteners are considered as a healthy substitute for sugar, but it is not so. They are used in processed foods like soft drinks, puddings, cakes, jams and jellies, canned sweets and food products, etc. They are even preferred over sugar because the amount of artificial sugar needed is comparatively less than sugar.
Health effects of artificial sweeteners:
- Control weight: Artificial sweeteners being non-nutritive are calories free. In comparison to regular sugar which contains 4 calories per tablespoon. Thus artificial sweeteners become a promising option to those who are concerned about losing weight.
- Control diabetes: Unlike sugar artificial sweeteners do not increase the blood sugar level because they are not carbohydrates. Thus, they are a good option for those who have diabetes and a sweet tooth too.
- Prevents tooth decay: Artificial sweeteners prevent tooth decay and cavities because bacteria are unable to break down artificial sweeteners.
- Increase diet: The thin consistency of artificial sweeteners doesn’t satisfy your hunger as compared to sugar. Sugar is sweet and dense thus it gives signals to your brain of high-calorie
- Risk of heart problems
- Hormonal imbalance
So to conclude I would say that artificial sweeteners are worse in comparison to sugar. A healthier option to this is sugar alcohol or natural sugar. Go for
- Fructose: Fructose is contained in apples of about 7%. They come along with vitamins, anti-oxidants, and fiber.
- Agave: It is a thick syrup which when heated up and processed becomes thin and loses its insulin content
- Honey: Honey has antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral properties which keep our body immune and fights cold and flu.
- Maple syrup: Maple syrup after getting possessed also contains quantities of zinc and magnesium.