Natural Memory Boosters for Better Memory Retention
Image Source: bangonhealth
The human brain is a powerful organic machine that regulates several complex functions of the body. The brain works continuously and seldom rests. This implies that the brain needs a lot of energy to keep working constantly and to perform the several functions. The diet that we take affects the brain as well. The brain needs a healthy balanced diet so that the brain cells can keep working in a proper manner and do not get damaged. Damage and degeneration of brain cells may cause several brain disorders including memory loss, dementia, Alzheimer’s etc. It is essential that the brain gets the required dosage of brain boost supplements that can help to enhance the brain functioning and also preventing damage of the brain cells.
The following are a few natural memory enhancers that can be included in the normal diet so that the brain keeps functioning in the right manner.
- Rosemary Herb: Rosemary herb is one of the best known memory enhancers that work better than memory booster pills. It is believed that even the smell of rosemary enhances the memory. The herb contains carnosic acid which is an anti-oxidant. This anti-oxidant works to dilate the cerebral vascular tissues; which further enables the brain to function in a better manner. Rosemary stimulates the neuro-transmitters in the brain to get clear understanding and thus retain better.
- Tea: Tea is considered a memory booster because of the caffeine and anti-oxidant content in it. Tea is known to calm and refresh the mind. Caffeine is known for kick starting the brain. Polyphenols are anti-oxidants found in tea and are known to improve the brain functioning and enhance the memory capabilities of the brain. Tea also contains theanine which is an amino acid which relaxes the brain and helps it to focus better.
- Avocados: Avocados are a great alternative to memory pills and are known to be great memory enhancers. Avocados contain omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids which are mono-unsaturated fats essential for the proper functioning of the brain. These fatty acids work to improve the blood flow in the brain and also enhance the absorption of anti-oxidants in the brain thereby preventing the brain cells from damage. Avocados also contain Vitamin E which protects the brain from damage by free radicals. In addition, avocados are rich in potassium and Vitamin K which prevent the brain from strokes. Avocados thus help to enhance memory, focus and retention.
- Whole Grains: Whole grains are rich sources of carbohydrates, omega fatty acids and fibres all of which protect the brain from strokes. Whole grains also contain Vitamin B which is essential for improved blood flow in the brain and also for alleviating the mood and overcoming stress. Quinoa is one of the best known whole grains that can be used to improve the memory retention capabilities. It helps to balance the blood sugar levels in the body and provides the essential glucose for the efficient working of the brain.
- Nuts: Nuts are considered the best memory boosters. These can replace supplements to improve memory and focus. Nuts are rich sources of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, proteins, vitamin B6 and vitamin E. Vitamin E is a potent anti-oxidant that fights the free radicals that cause damage of the brain cells and leads to several memory disorders. Nuts increase the brain power manifold and thus help in improving the overall memory and retention.
- Fruits and Vegetables: Fruits and vegetables are an important part of a healthy balanced diet. These are needed by the brain as well for its proper functioning and for memory enhancing capabilities. A balanced diet for memory must contain fruits and vegetables of all colours like red, blue, green and yellow. Apples which are red in colour contain quercetin which is a chemical that fights memory loss. Blueberries contain anthocyanin which is an anti-oxidant that protects the brain and improves its functioning. Dark green vegetables contain folic acid which is essential for the development of the brain. There are several other fruits and vegetables that work to enhance the memory and improve its functioning.
For more information on natural memory boosters, click here.