Preventing Alzheimer's is now an option with new breakthrough medicines
Image Source: Seniorsguideonline
Age and genetics are beyond one’s control. It is necessary that if ever age or genes fail to favor your condition, you take major steps to prevent it. Alzheimer’s is such a disease that can make your life tougher. Even though there is no cure to this disease, headways and revolutions in the field of preventing Alzheimer’s have already paved its way. A healthy and a strong brain are important and with new options and technology available, it is not impossible.
What is Alzheimer’s?
Alzheimer disease is a chronic neurodegenerative disease. It is a slow disease and gets worse with time. Alzheimer’s is a shared form of dementia and appears mostly in a person’s mid-60s. It destroys memory skills and thinking ability of a person. Being a complex disease, it has various risk factors.
If you ask for reasons behind this disease then there can be a lot.
It can be genetic. Head injuries, depression and hypertension comprise of few major factors of this disease.
Currently, there isn’t any cure for Alzheimer but there is still an ongoing process to address this. The current drugs for Alzheimer’s can only prevent its symptoms for a while. At present, there are 5 drugs namely tacrine, rivastigmine, galantamine, donepezil and memantine that have been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The first four medicines are acetyl cholinesterase inhibitors and the latter is an NMDA antagonist. These drugs aim at increasing the neurotransmitters in the brain.
Steps in the direction of Alzheimer’s Prevention:
- Scientists are drawing up a new drug that will kill the symptoms forever. It is the only time when such a drug is being invented that not only works on destroying the symptoms but also stop the root of this devastating disease.
- Research pathology is majorly focusing on reducing the beta-amyloid levels in the brain.
- Vaccination or Immunotherapy is already under study.
- The people who have previously been diagnosed will be treated by the putative therapy. This therapy is basically a way to train the immune system to become aware of and attack the deposition of amyloids.
- Many preventive measures to cure Alzheimer’s has been undertaken by the researchers:
- ACC-001 was one such vaccine whose trial was suspended in 2008.
- Bapineuzuab is an antibody, which is quite similar to the anti-amyloid antibody that is naturally induced in one’s body.
- There has been a stimulating result in blocking the TNF-alpha receptor by means of a fusion protein called etanercept.
- Methylthioninium Chloride and dimebon take a huge role in changing the phase of Alzheimer’s from mild to moderate.
- It was not until the invention of herpes simplex virus HSV-1 that it was found that this disease could be prevented or treated with antiviral medication. HSV-1 collocates with the amyloid plaques.
- IVIG is a new vaccine to target amyloid protein deposits in the brain by the immune system. It is considered to be available in the coming ten-year’s time.
Latest reviews lead to the belief that the genesis of Alzheimer’s will be put to a halt after mindful-based interventions.
(Alzeheimer’s disease) include regular exercise and eating healthy food.Meditation and quality sleep can also be very helpful for a strong brain.
Donot lose hope and always remember that “where there is will, there is a way.” Try taking herbal drugs and pills as an alternative. They have very little or no side effects and are very effective in preventing Alzheimer’s.
Click here to see what JBN has in store for you. Stay healthy. Stay happy.