Replace Sugar With Healthier Honey
Image Source: Ellabirdbooks
One tablespoon of honey contains less calories as compared to one tablespoon of sugar. Approximately 387 calories are contained in 100 grams of sugar. On the other hand, 100 grams of honey contains about 304 calories. Sugar is 50% glucose and 50% fructose. Honey is about 30% glucose and about 40% fructose. Honey contains some more other healthy sugars. The biochemistry of honey and sugar explains a lot why honey is healthier. The body breaks down the food we take and yields glucose which is used as fuel. For a complex food i.e. carbohydrate, more amount of energy is required to be broken down. Glucose and fructose are broken down easily leading to excess of glucose in blood. As more complex sugars are present in honey, it takes more amount of energy to be broken down as compared to sugar. Hence lesser calories get accumulated. Honey also contains some trace elements like zinc and selenium and a few vitamins too.
Benefits of using honey
- As already stated, nutritional value of honey is added by more complex sugars and presence of some trace elements. Sugar contains nothing except glucose and fructose.
- Honey aids in digestion. Studies have shown that substituting sugar for honey in processed food improves the microflora of gut.
- Honey is a great immune buster. It contains polyhenols, that act as antioxidants and prevents cells from free radical damage. Such properties of honey can help in improvement of heart health and also helps to protect against cancer.
- Hydrogen peroxide is present in honey which is a great antibiotic. Honey has been shown to heal cuts and burns and even radiation induced ulcers.
- Honey possesses anti-inflammatory properties. It can be used to treat irritation of mosquito bite.
- Some preliminary researches have show that honey is useful in treatment of acne, which arises by infection pilosebaceous follicle.
- Many of the beauty bloggers have blogged about use of honey as a hair mask. Honey makes the hair look healthy and strong.
- Since honey is sweeter than sugar, it is required less than sugar.
So now you know, honey is better in lot of ways. Keep a jar of honey in your kitchen and substitute it for sugar wherever you can. Not only for sweetening, honey is best for attaining smooth and glowing skin as well. Applying a mixture of honey and lemon juice can do wonders to your skin. Try it yourself to witness the magic of honey. Click here to know more.