Switch to Organic Foods and Supplements to Prevent Alzheimer’s
Alzheimer’s disease is one of the most common brain disorders faced by people in their old age. Alzheimer’s is a type of dementia that causes loss of memory, loss of cognitive and mental abilities and also loss of memory. This is an irreversible brain disorder that destroys memory and eventually destroys the person’s ability to perform even the simplest of the tasks. Today, Alzheimer’s is one of the leading causes of deaths worldwide. The reasons or causes of Alzheimer’s are unknown and therefore its prevention and cure is also difficult. When a person suffers from Alzheimer’s, several changes take place in the brain. The brain develops plaques and tangles and the connections between nerve cells are also lost. Thus, the brain is unable to function normally and thereby is unable to transfer messages to various organs of the body and thus prevents the body to perform normal tasks.
A cure for Alzheimer’s has not yet been found but it can be prevented using natural remedies. The following are natural foods that can help to prevent Alzheimer’s and improve the functioning of brain.
- B- Vitamins: B- Vitamins like B6, B 12 and folic acid can reduce the atrophy of the grey matter and thereby prevents Alzheimer’s. B Vitamins lower homo-cysteine which is a cell damaging amino acid that leads to a decline in cognitive functioning of the brain. B vitamins enhance the cognitive abilities of the brain and thereby help to prevent dementia and thus Alzheimer’s.
- Leafy greens: Leafy greens contain a high content of Vitamin B9 and folate which alleviate depression and enhance cognition. The consumption of leafy green helps to improve the functioning of the brain and prevents Alzheimer’s.
- Cruciferous vegetables: Cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, kale contain folate and carotenoids that lower homo-cysteine levels in the brain. These vegetables help to maintain the functioning of the brain and improve connections between nerve cells thereby preventing Alzheimer’s.
- Beans and legumes: Beans and legumes contain folate, iron, magnesium, potassium and also B Vitamins. Beans and legumes also contain choline which is a B vitamin that stimulates the production of acetylcholine which is a neuro-transmitter critical for the functioning of the brain. The consumption of beans and legumes thus enhances the functioning of the brain and prevents Alzheimer’s.
- Berries and cherries: Berries and cherries contain anthocyanins that prevent the brain from damage caused by free radicals. The free radicals cause degeneration and damage of the brain cells and leads to dementia. Berries and cherries are rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin E and have anti-inflammatory properties. The consumption of berries and cherries therefore enhances the brain function and prevents the brain from damage thereby preventing Alzheimer’s.
- Omega 3s: The consumption of mega 3s helps to keep the brain in proper shape and enables the brain to function properly. Omega fatty acids prevent the degeneration of brain cells and enhance the cognitive functioning of the brain thereby preventing Alzheimer’s.
- Sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds: These seeds contain choline, zinc and Vitamin E. Zinc enhances the function of the brain and choline lowers the levels of homo-cysteine which further prevents the degeneration if the brain. Vitamin E is an anti-oxidant that fights free radicals that cause degeneration and damage of the brain cells. Thus, the consumption of sunflower and pumpkin seeds helps to prevent Alzheimer’s.
- Nuts: Nuts like almonds, cashews, walnuts etc. contain omega 3 fatty acids, omega 6 fatty acids, Vitamin E, folate, Vitamin B6 and magnesium. Nuts provide the brain with enough nutrients that help to enhance the functioning of the brain and improve the cognitive abilities of the brain. Nuts help to prevent the damage of the brain and nerve cells and therefore prevent Alzheimer’s.
- Spices: Spices like cinnamon, turmeric, sage and cumin help to prevent Alzheimer’s disease. These spices help to break up brain plaque and reduce inflammation of the brain cells that cause problems in the brain like dementia etc. The use of these spices thus helps to enhance the functioning of the brain.
For more information on prevention of Alzheimer’s, click here.