What Are The Home Remedies To Treat Tonsillitis?
Image source- tonsilstoneshelper
Dr. Batra shares some of the best tips to heal sore throat and tonsillitis. According to him drinking plenty of fluids can treat tonsillitis. Patient may not feel like drinking fluids on account of the throat pain but should still consume lot of water to keep the throat moist and to prevent dehydration.
You all must have heard the term tonsils, what exactly it is? Two lymph nodes situated on each side of the back of our throat called the tonsils. They naturally act as a defence mechanism, aid to ward off the infection to get into the rest of your body. When these protective nodes themselves get infected, the condition is called tonsillitis. Tonsillitis is a contagious disease, can be caused by common viruses and bacteria. Sore throat, swollen glands, fever, headache, bad breath, coughing & sneezing, painful swallowing, runny nose etc are some of the common symptoms of tonsillitis.
Tonsillitis can easily be diagnosed and treated within 7 to 10 days, but if left untreated then it may lead to serious complications.
How to treat sore throat at home?
There are various ways to treat tonsillitis at home. Some widely practised home remedies for sore throat are-
Honey & Lemon- as we all are familiar with the fact that this tinny ball (Lemon) is the best source of vitamin C, which helps to keep bacteria at bay whereas being a natural healing agent, honey functions to relief pain.
- Add half lemon juice & 2 tablespoon honey in any herbal tea or a cup of hot water.
- Mix it well and have small sips of this concoction.
- You can add 1 teaspoon of brandy or whisky as well in it for better result.
Basil (tulsi)- Basil is nowhere less than a miracle for sore throat. Owing to its antiviral & anti-inflammatory properties this herb is one of the effective and famous home remedies to treat tonsillitis. Basil contains natural healing compounds and soothing qualities which help to reduce pain and swelling through its healing process.
- Boil 10 to 15 basil leaves in one cup of water for 10 minutes.
- Strain and squeeze 1 lemon in the solution.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey to sweeten it (optionally).
- Drink this twice a day for 2-3 days.
Turmeric- Turmeric is famous as a natural healer. Owing to its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties it is an active ingredient and has been used in Ayurvedic medicines since ancient time. It can fight off tonsillitis and infection effectively and relieve its symptoms too.
- Mix 1 teaspoon turmeric in a glass of plain or salted water. Gargle with this solution multiple times in a day. It helps to treat sore throat and inflammation too.
- Another remedy is, add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and a pinch of black pepper in lukewarm milk. Drink it before going to bed.
Cinnamon- This highly healthiest spice is rich in antimicrobial properties which impede the growth of micro organisms, germs and bacteria in tonsils and aids to reduce pain, swelling and inflammation.
- Combine one teaspoon of cinnamon powder to a glass of hot water.
- Mix in two teaspoons of honey.
- Sip on it slowly while it is still warm.
- Drink this two or three times a day for one week.
Salt water- This is one of the most common & best home remedies for sore throat and has been used since ages. To gargle with lukewarm salted water drives you instant relief in tonsils pain. Lukewarm water gives sore throat soothing effect whereas salt gradually reduces inflammation and kills the bacteria.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt in a glass of lukewarm water.
- Gargle with this solution and spit it out.
- Repeat this remedy for 2-3 times in a day.